Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN)
How to apply for a new ITIN
- Fill out IRS Form W-7. See www.irs.gov to download current forms. The person who the ITIN is for must sign their own application. Parent signature required for minors.
- Secure original documents to prove your identity and foreign status (include passport, Consulate ID card, birth certificate, valid state ID, etc.)
- Prepare a tax return
- Send all documents together to the IRS
Documents to prove identity and foreign status:
- You must send original documents. Copies will not be accepted by the IRS unless they are certified by the issuing agency.
- An example of the supporting documents you may use to prove your identity and foreign status include the following. Please see refer to the instructions for the Form W-7 at www.irs.gov for updated lists.
ITIN Application Assistance
We generally offer ITIN workshops during tax filing season (late January to mid-April). In addition, there may be a limited number of slots each week for one-on-one assistance.
There are no scheduled workshops at this time. Please check back in January for upcoming dates.
If you are unable to attend a workshop, you may be able to come in for individualized assistance in filling out your ITIN application. Please call 503-489-6814 for availability.